With the ladies’ Intermediate final coming up on Saturday (4pm, Ballymena), Claire Donnelly pencilled in time in her busy schedule – literally sending her photo from a recovery session – to answer our quickfire queries and let off the lid on some of the gaffer’s quotes…
1. Name: Claire Donnelly
2. Age: 34
3. Playing position/role in club: Defense / sick note corner
4. Favourite film: lion King
5. Favourite song: listen to everything and anything
6. Favourite food/meal: anything without Veg and Pizzamac Pizzas
7. Favourite holiday destination? Prob Oz
8. Favourite pitch to play on? Well this year has mostly been the sidelines I’ve been on so any with a dugout is great!!!
9. Favourite club memory? Hopping up and down musgrave for about 6 weeks after me and Orlaith Kirk both did our ankles in the same week. 8 years later ankle is still going strong.
10. Worst club memory? See above or one injury after the other missing most of this year with MCL.
11. Unsung club hero? Anthony Carleton always there whatever u need him for and always in shorts!!!
12. Best player played with? 3 of the best centre half backs I’ve played with. Nuala McCartan, Aisling Hagan (Beragh) and Orlaith Kirk
13. Best match you were involved in? Didn’t think it at the time but playing Mullaghhorn (Cavan) in ulster club with Beragh, game went to extra time but unfortunately we were beat by a point with the last kick. Was a great contest.
14. Favourite quote: Play to your strengths, work on your weakness’ and in turn they will become a strength. My own take on a few. (Claire Donnelly 2018, for future reference) lol
15. Best advice ever received: “Do not bounce into a tackle” Screamed by Mel 100 of times this year.
16. What other club do you like to see do well other than St Brigid’s: Beragh
17. Favourite player growing up: Michaela Downey and absolute powerhouse.
18. Best trainer on the team? Ashling Henderson, if she’s told to do something she works and works to she gets it right. Ciara Durnien, when she remembers to bring her stuff and on the 10th explanation shes flying you can’t stop her.
19. Worst trainer on the team: Tough one as everyone gives their all when at training, hardest part is getting everyone there.
20. Up and coming player to watch? Any of our minors coming up, they’re absolute speedsters.
21. Favourite thing about the GAA? Just getting out there with a great bunch of girls and kicking the ball around.
22. Where would you like to see St Brigid’s in ten years time? Winning a senior Championship